SESSION 5: Dan Siegel MD | Deep Mechanisms of the 2e Brain: Prequel to the Talk in Day 1 of the Summit
Ready for a deep brain dive with Dr. Dan Siegel? In a prequel to his talk that aired on Day 1, Dr. Siegel explains the brain mechanisms of the "differently wired" child. Dr. Siegel talks about the three step process - how the brain makes categories, concepts, and linguistic symbols - and how these things determine how our brain perceives the world in a different way. Dr. Siegel teaches us to celebrate children whose brains don't conform to the category and concept "norms" in the world, and whose brain has the gift of automatically thinking outside of the box!
Dr. Siegel is a clinical professor of psychiatry at the UCLA School of Medicine and the founding co-director of the Mindful Awareness Research Center at UCLA. He is also the Executive Director of the Mindsight Institute which focuses on the development of mindsight, which teaches insight, empathy, and integration in individuals, families and communities. Dr. Siegel has published extensively for both the professional and lay audiences. His five New York Times bestsellers are: Aware: The Science and Practice of Presence, Mind: A Journey to the Heart of Being Human, Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain, and two books with Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D:The Whole-Brain Child and No-Drama Discipline. His other books include: The Developing Mind(2ndEd.), Mindsight,The Mindful Brain, andThe Yes Brain (also with Tina Payne Bryson, Ph.D).
- Aware: The Science and Practice of Presence--The Groundbreaking Meditation Practice
- The Yes Brain: How to Cultivate Courage, Curiosity, and Resilience in Your Child
- Parenting from the Inside Out: How a Deeper Self-Understanding Can Help You Raise Children Who Thrive: 10th Anniversary
- The Whole-Brain Child: 12 Revolutionary Strategies to Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
- Mind: A Journey to the Heart of Being Human (Norton Series on Interpersonal Neurobiology)
- No-Drama Discipline: The Whole-Brain Way to Calm the Chaos and Nurture Your Child's Developing Mind
- Brainstorm: The Power and Purpose of the Teenage Brain
- The Developing Mind, Second Edition: How Relationships and the Brain Interact to Shape Who We Are
Website & Social Media: