Day 2: MANAGING EMOTIONAL INTENSITY, MELTDOWNS & BEHAVIOR
Tuesday, January 29, 2019. Begins at 10 am ET/7 am PT
SESSION 1: Ross Greene PhD | Tools & Strategies for Our Bright, Behaviorally Challenging Kids
Dr. Ross Greene dives right in giving us insight into his proven model for collaboratively and proactively identifying and solving our 2e children’s most challenging behaviors. His transformational model for understanding behavior as a symptom of unmet expectations and unsolved problems, followed by collaborative problem solving that is realistic and mutually satisfactory, will change how we think about and approach difficulties with our 2e kids. He talks specifically about challenges we see with our bright and quirky kids, from impulsivity and defiance to sensory issues, and how his model specifically applies to their unique lives. He ends by sharing how we can advocate for our kids needs in schools with the greatest chance of success.
Ross W. Greene, Ph.D., is the originator of the innovative, evidence-based approach called Collaborative & Proactive Solutions (CPS), as described in his influential books The Explosive Child, Lost at School, Lost & Found, and Raising Human Beings. Dr. Greene was on the faculty at Harvard Medical School for over 20 years, and is now Founding Director of the non-profit Lives in the Balance. He is adjunct Associate Professor in the Department of Psychology at Virginia Tech and adjunct Professor in the Faculty of Science at the University of Technology in Sydney, Australia. Dr. Greene has worked with several thousand behaviorally challenging kids and their families, and he and his colleagues have overseen implementation and evaluation of the CPS model in hundreds of schools.
- The Explosive Child: A New Approach for Understanding and Parenting Easily Frustrated, Chronically Inflexible Children
- Lost at School: Why Our Kids with Behavioral Challenges are Falling Through the Cracks and How We Can Help Them
- Lost and Found: Helping Behaviorally Challenging Students (and, While You're At It, All the Others)
- Raising Human Beings: Creating a Collaborative Partnership with Your Child
- Treating Explosive Kids: The Collaborative Problem-Solving Approach
Website & Social Media:
|1||Mark this video as complete.|
SESSION 2: Barry Prizant PhD SLP | Putting the Right Supports in Place for Bright Kids with Autism
Dr. Barry Prizant addresses common myths about the experience of people with Autism, and sheds light on what children on the Spectrum are communicating through their behaviors. He shares specific strategies for both preventing and responding to difficult behaviors with confidence.
He helps parents cultivate a deeper, more connected relationship with their 2e child by answering questions like:
- What is my child communicating through their behavior?
- How can I help them anticipate overwhelm, and self-regulate?
- What are the best strategies for creating a predictable environment
- within the reality of our fast paced life?
- How do I address the social challenges my child faces?
- How do we regulate video games and screen time?
Dr. Barry Prizant is recognized as one of the world’s leading scholars in autism spectrum disorders and communication disabilities, with more than 40 years experience as a researcher and international consultant for individuals with ASD and related disabilities. He is a certified Speech-Language Pathologist, an Adjunct Professor at Brown University, and Director of Childhood Communication Services, a private practice. He is a member of the Professional Advisory Board of the Autism Society of America. Publications include four books, 130 chapters and articles and The SCERTS Modelmanuals, an educational approach now being implemented in more than a dozen countries. Barry has presented more than 800 seminars and keynote addresses internationally. His most recent book is Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism, winner of the 2017 Autism Society of America’s Temple Grandin Award for Outstanding Literary Work.
- Uniquely Human: A Different Way of Seeing Autism
- The Scerts Model: A Comprehensive Educational Approach for Children With Autism Spectrum Disorders (2 volume set)
Website & Social Media:
|2||Mark this video as complete.|
SESSION 3: Carol Kranowitz | When a Bright Child Has Sensory-Related Challenges
Carol, author of the renowned Out-of-Sync-Child, dives into Sensory Processing Disorder to help 2e parents understand exactly what is going on inside the body of their out of sync child. She explains the interconnectedness of sensory challenges with twice exceptionality, and offers pearls of wisdom across the board, including:
- Subtypes of SPD and if and how they show up in your child
- What each subtype needs in terms of sensory input or avoidance
- A wealth of strategies to help kids regulate and find their calm
- Answers for overwhelmed parents who are tired of worrying when the next “episode” will happen
During 25 years as a preschool teacher, Carol Stock Kranowitz introduced Sensory Processing Disorder to parents and educators around the world through her groundbreaking book, The Out-of-Sync Child. This first book in the “Sync” series has been translated into many languages, has sold one million copies, and is regularly among the top ten in booklists about children with disabilities. Her most recent book is, The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up.Carol speaks nationally and internationally, explaining SPD’s effect on children’s learning and behavior and how families, teachers, therapists, and other professionals can help at home, at school, and out in the world. A graduate of Barnard College, Carol earned her master’s in Education and Human Development from The George Washington University. She lives in Bethesda, Maryland, plays the cello, and dotes on five grandchildren.
- The Out-of-Sync Child: Recognizing and Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder (The Out-of-Sync Child Series)
- Growing an In-Sync Child: Simple, Fun Activities to Help Every Child Develop, Learn, and Grow
- The In Sync Activity Card Book: 50 Simple Activities to Help Children Develop, Learn, and Grow!
- The Out-of-Sync Child Has Fun, Revised Edition: Activities for Kids with Sensory Processing Disorder (The Out-of-Sync Child Series)
- The Out-of-Sync Child Grows Up: Coping with Sensory Processing Disorder in the Adolescent and Young Adult Years (The Out-of-Sync Child Series)
Website & Social Media:
|3||Mark this video as complete.|
SESSION 4: Laura Markham PhD | How to Pull Off the Calming Vibe When Your Tank is Low
In this video, Dr. Laura dives into the heart of helping our child with self regulation. She talks about both preventative calming strategies as well as what to do in a red hot moment. Dr. Laura gives valuable advice about how to manage our own emotional reactions to our child’s meltdowns, and gives great ideas to refill our own tank so we can connect more lovingly and effectively with our children. Dr. Laura also talks about how to help your child through homework meltdowns and what the most powerful message is to give your child to restore a strong and loving connection with them.
Dr. Laura Markham is the author of Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids:How To Stop Yelling and Start Connecting, Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings:How To Stop the Fighting and Raise Friends for Life,and now her latest book, The Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids Workbook:Using mindfulness and connection to raise resilient, joyful children and rediscover your love of parenting. Dr. Laura earned her PhD in clinical psychology at Columbia University and has worked as a parenting coach with countless families across the world. Dr. Laura’s aspiration is to change the world, one child at a time, by supporting parents. The proud mother of two thriving young adults who were raised with her peaceful parenting approach, she lives with her husband in New York.
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids Workbook: Using Mindfulness and Connection to Raise Resilient, Joyful Children and Rediscover Your Love of Parenting
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Kids: How to Stop Yelling and Start Connecting (The Peaceful Parent Series)
- Peaceful Parent, Happy Siblings: How to Stop the Fighting and Raise Friends for Life
Website & Social Media:
|4||Mark this video as complete.|